Call us now for a free consultation 24/7

0800 9158930



If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident, in certain circumstances, you are required to stop and give your name and address to anyone who reasonably requires it. Not giving your name and address for any reason gives rise to the further requirement to report the accident to a police station. If you have been charged with either of these offences, our barristers will carefully analyse the circumstances of your case to see if they give rise to the requirement to stop or if you have a defence to failing to report. Through our examination of the circumstances of your case and how the law applies to them, a case that may on the face of it seem hopeless could give rise to a defence.

The penalty for failing to stop at the scene of an accident could be immediate disqualification. Why not contact a member of our team? We will be able to advise you if you have a defence to the charge and if not, endeavour to persuade the Magistrates to sentence you to a penalty that allows you to remain on the road.

Unfortunately, accidents often result in both damage and injury. If this is the case and the accident was not your fault then you may be entitled to compensation. We have colleagues with extensive experience in this area of law so if you would like advice on your potential claim then contact us today.

View penalties for this offence


5 tips when facing prosecution for a motoring offence

1. Don’t panic! 

Sometimes things aren’t as bad as they may first appear.

2. Don’t delay in taking legal advice.

These days, you can go directly to a barrister (rather than using a solicitor) for advice. The sooner you tell us about the circumstances surrounding your case, the more time there is to get information together to ensure we get the best possible outcome.

3. Make sure you comply with any deadlines given by the police or court.

If you don’t comply with deadline dates, you could be making things a whole lot worse for yourself. Failure to respond to a notice of intended prosecution means you have committed a further offence.

4. You can represent yourself in Court if you wish.

If you do represent yourself in court, we recommend that for ‘peace of mind’ you ask us for an advice about your case. That way, you are bit more prepared. We can tell you what to expect on the day, your likely sentence and how best to present yourself to the magistrates.

5. You can appeal the decision

If you don’t get the outcome you expected, you can appeal on the grounds of a procedural or legal error.